Are you Brushing & Flossing the Right Way?
One of the most vital ways to ensure a healthy smile is with proper brushing and flossing. A healthy smile starts from home. Our dentists at Dr. Teeth Dental Care also recommend regular dental cleanings and exams at least twice a year for a fresh smile. However, how do we know if we are brushing and flossing the right way? Read on to learn the proper techniques for brushing and flossing your pearly whites.
What are the basics of brushing?
It is normal for us to keep the same dental routine our parents taught us at an early age. It may be a good idea to evaluate our dental hygiene habits and see if we are doing the most for our smile. Below are a few good tips for healthy brushing.
- Use small circular motions or small back and forth motions. This helps to break up plaque on your teeth and gums.
- Avoid aggressive brushing that can damage the tissues in your mouth. Using a soft bristle brush works best.
- Keep a pattern while brushing to avoid missing spots in your mouth. Focus on each individual tooth and patches of gum.
What are the flossing fundamentals?
Keeping up a good flossing routine will help to improve your dental health. It may take a while for flossing daily to become a habit, but the benefits will be clearly seen. Below are a few flossing fundamentals.
- Cover the floss on both sides of your tooth.
- Use gentle motions to move the floss around your teeth.
- Get the floss below your gum line.
- Use a floss that will easily slide between your gaps.
Keeping up a healthy dental routine will save you on money and time spent on procedures in the future.