An Insight on Dental Implant Surgery
Has your Katy dentist suggested a dental implant surgery for your missing teeth? It is better to have some information about the procedure beforehand. Let’s explore.
What are Dental Implants?
The dental implants are titanium screws that are inserted into the jawbone and acts as tooth roots. The titanium screws have abutments adhered to them and on which a crown or bridge will be placed later on.
Why Do I Need Dental Implants?
The dental implant surgery replaces the missing teeth. There are both functional as well as esthetic reasons to get dental implants. The dental implants in Katy, TX also prevent the adjacent teeth from shifting and moving because of tooth loss. The shifting of teeth can lead to crowding, uneven teeth and more dental complications. They also stimulate bone growth. Apart from that, it also preserves the speech and facial structure.
The Dental Implants Surgery Procedure
- The dentist will first extract the damaged/ decayed tooth.
- He will perform a bone graft surgery if required.
- Once the bone graft heals, the implant procedure will begin.
- The dentist will then place the titanium implants under your gum into the jawbone.
- It will take several months for the implant to heal.
- A temporary set of crowns will be placed until the healing process is over.
- Molds of the patient’s mouth and teeth will be taken.
- A laboratory, then makes custom crowns or bridges.
- They are placed for permanent dental implants.
After Dental Implants Surgery
Once you have received the teeth implants, the surgeons will ask you to visit them regularly to see if the implants are successful. You are supposed to eat soft foods and liquids for a few weeks. After the procedure, you can expect facial swelling, gum swelling, and oral pain along with facial bruising and slight bleeding.
Most of the tooth implants are successful and on an average only 5% of the implants fail. You must choose a dental professional who is qualified and has experience in placing dental implants so that you can make sure that you receive dental implants successfully.